APPLinkup is an online system designed to manage and collate assessment outcomes for determining competency to practice physiotherapy in Australia and New Zealand.
It is an web-based version of the APP (Assessment of Physiotherapy Practice) instrument which is currently in use throughout Australia and New Zealand.
Through the application of innovative technology to traditional systems of competency assessment, APPLinkup reduces the burden of paper based assessment by providing real-time management of workplace assessment. It also enables access to online resources for physiotherapy educators to support them in the important task of “assessment for learning”.
Once data are saved in APPLinkup they are securely protected, backed-up, accessible by education partners, and available in reports that meet the needs of educators, students and administrators.
Using comparisons to historical data, universities can evaluate effects on student practice associated with changes to curricula, educators can identify professional development required in relation to workplace based assessment, students can monitor changes in their performance across time and all stakeholders can compare outcomes to de-identified nationwide data.
APPLinkup enables the following:
- collation of student results individually and for whole cohorts across programs and years of study
- information for educators on their ratings compared with national data averages
- data on the number of students and types of placements provided by individual facilities and health service districts
- reports for students, educators, health facilities and universities which enable calibration of individual or organization scores against national data
- reduction in duplication of data entry
- instantaneous transfer of information between universities and education partners
- comprehensive data for evaluation and regular review of the measurement properties of the APP instrument
- students can improve skills through reflection and self assessment by self-rating prior to discussing ratings given by clinical educators
- resources to guide best practice in workplace based assessment